1. Staying up until sunrise because your game had no save or password feature.
The sun would be rising, your NES would be about to melt because it had been on for 10 hours straight, but damn it, you were going to finish Super Mario Bros. 3.
2. The devastation when you had to take a rented game back to Blockbuster before finishing it.
“But I haven’t completed the Venice stage yet. Can’t we just BUY Tomb Raider II?”
3. Your dusty Mega Drive and SNES carts refusing to work no matter how many times you blew in them.
“Blow in it again, it still looks like a messed-up nightmare.” Ninety per cent of the time it was a magic fix, but if not you’d end up hammering the reset button repeatedly.
4. Not being able to see your Game Boy’s screen on a sunny day.
You’d bug your parents for Handy Boy magnifying glass, light, and speaker system, then you’d realise it looked terrible and didn’t even work anyway.
5. The sheer anguish when you heard Channel 4 had cancelled GamesMaster.
Or Bad Influence! if you preferred ITV. Remember their video blast with all the cheat codes you could only read by playing your VHS in slow motion? Amazing.
6. Bombing yourself into a corner then dying within the first five seconds of a Bomberman match.
“Guess I’ll just watch you guys play then.”
Page 1 of 4